Am I Required to File IRS Form 1099 or Other Information Return?

Am I Required to File Form 1099 or Other Information Returns?
Here’s the short answer:
You are not required to file information return(s) including 1099’s if any of the following situations apply:

  • You are not engaged in a trade or business
  • You are engaged in a trade or business and the payment was made to another business that is incorporated, or the sum of all payments made to the person or unincorporated business is less than $600 in one tax year (unless the recipient is an attorney or law firm, see specific instructions for 1099-MISC for further details)

If You MUST File Form 1099’s, Here’s What You Need To Do:

  • Call Steve Mangione CPA your Orange County Accounting and Tax specialist.
  • We’ll answer your questions
  • We’ll print out the forms for you to mail to your vendors, (or we can mail)
  • We’ll e-file the Form 1096 Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns to the IRS

What Is the Due Date for Mailing 1099’s to Vendors?

  • Form 1099-MISC is due to recipient on last day of January when you are reporting nonemployee compensation payments in box 7
  • Last day of February
  • File Form 1098 on paper by February 28, 2017, or March 31, 2017, if filing
    electronically through the FIRE system

NOTE: If the regular due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, file by the next business day.  A business day is any day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.

If You Want To Create and Send Form 1099’s To Your Vendors and the Information Return Form 1096 To the IRS Yourself, Here’s What You Need To Do:

  1. Order the forms directly from the IRS for free. IRS Order Form
  2. Buy the forms from your local office supply store.  You’ll be able to print form on your inkjet or laser printer.  Some forms comes with free templates
    (TIP – Buy early they sell out early January)
  3. Request each vendor fill out IRS Form W-9
  4. Make sure you only include vendors that you paid over $600
  5. Certain vendors require you put the dollar amount in a different box and there are multiple 1099’s i.e. 1099-MISC | 1099-INT or the most common for trades and businesses
  6. You do not have to send a 1099 to corporations
  7. Fill out Form 1096 and mail to the IRS